Following the success of Christie’s Luxury auctions in 2021, Christie’s Milan announces the best of Italian jewellery craftsmanship and international watchmaking in an online auction of Jewels and Watches Online: La Dolce Vita, open for bidding from 1 to 10 March 2022.
Presenting examples by iconic brands, highlights include a fine collection from Chantecler, jewels from the glamorous Montenapoleone Maisons Sabbadini and Vhernier, alongside a selection of precious gemstones such as Colombian and Brazilian emeralds, diamonds, and sapphires.
The auction will also feature a curated selection of timepieces from celebrated manufacturers including Patek Philippe, Rolex, and Piaget. Highlights of the auction will be on display at Christie’s Milan, in the historic neoclassical Palazzo Clerici, with viewing by appointment only from 1 to 9 March 2022.
The auction will offer a Belle Époque diamond and ruby ring by Musy (estimate: €2,500 – 3,500), alongside designs from Chantecler — Capri’s Dolce Vita most famous jeweller — including two striking diamond rings (estimate: €6,000 – 8,000 each), and a pair of coloured sapphire and diamond earrings by Chantecler (estimate: €10,000 – 15,000).
A pair of sculptural “Eclisse” gold, jet and diamond earrings by Vhernier (estimate: €1,500 – 2,500) exemplify the contemporary design and innovation of Italy’s iconic jewellers, alongside an impressive gold suite by Federico Buccellati (estimate: €4,000 – 6,000).
For the selection of watches a Patek Philippe ref. 460, circa 1929 (estimate: €30,000 – 50,000), will lead the auction, alongside a Patek Philippe Nautilus with diamonds (estimate: €6,000 – 10,000) and Rolex GMT Master ref. 16710 (estimate: €7,000 – 10,000).
The auction follows the success of Christie’s first Jewels Online auction of 2022 which achieved a total of $5,183,500 with 131% hammer above low estimate and 96% sold by lot, springboarding from a successful 2021 as evidenced by the stats below.
LUXURY AT CHRISTIE’S – 2021 BY NUMBERS
• In 2021, Christie’s Jewels department presented 19 online and 7 live auctions.
• 5,478 lots offered in Jewels auctions.
• Bidders and buyers from 71 countries participated in Christie’s Jewels sales.
• 32% of registrants in Jewels sales were new to Christie’s Luxury categories.
• Online demand for jewellery soared with a 101% increase in the number of jewels lots sold online between 2019 and 2021.
• Millennial collectors comprised 20% of clients in Christie’s Jewels auctions.
• Average sell-through rates of 89% by lot and 109% hammer above the low estimate.
• 2021 marked a record year for the Christie’s Watches department, achieving a total of US$205 million across 20 live and online auctions in Geneva, Dubai, Hong Kong, Milan and New York. The record performance in 2021 is a 257% increase from 2020 and a 157% increase for 2019.
• In 2021, Christie’s Watches auctions offered 3,213 lots.
• Bidders and buyers from 73 countries participated in Christie’s Watches auctions.
• 41% of all registrants in 2021 were new to Christie’s.
• Millennial collectors comprised 33% of clients in Christie’s Watches auctions.
• Online sales continue to grow in value and achieved a total of US$59.8 million, marking 99% growth over 2020 and 602% growth over 2019.
• Average sell-through rates of 90% by lot and 124% hammer above the low estimate.