Nestled in the enchanting embrace of the north Dodecanese, Patmos, an unspoiled Greek island, beckons with its idyllic landscapes and a close-knit community of fishermen, farmers, and winemakers.
This hidden gem, with its stress-free island life and abundance of fresh ingredients, boasts an astonishingly high life expectancy, a testament to the benefits of wholesome living.
While the lucky few can set sail to Patmos and savour the Aegean Seabass at the seafront of Patmos Aktis, here’s a special recipe straight from their culinary team to bring a taste of Patmos to your own table.
Seared Seabass Fillet with Chard, Parsnip Puree and Lemon Cream
By Chef Nicos Constantinou, Cielo e Mare, Patmos
Chef Nicos Constantinou is a culinary virtuoso hailing from the picturesque island of Patmos in Greece.
With an innate passion for gastronomy and a deep-rooted appreciation for the island’s bountiful produce, Chef Nicos has carved a remarkable culinary journey that intertwines tradition with innovation.
As the mastermind behind the exquisite dishes at Cielo e Mare, he has become renowned for his ability to showcase the true essence of Patmos through his creations.
Indulge in a Gastronomic Delight: Seared Seabass with Sauté Chard, Parsnip Puree, and Fennel Lemon Cream
- 240g Seabass fillet
- 80g Chard
- 50g Parsnip puree
- 60g Fennel lemon cream
Fennel Lemon Beurre Blanc: The Essence of Mediterranean Delicacy
Begin your culinary journey by crafting the exquisite Fennel Lemon Beurre Blanc, an enchanting concoction that elevates the dish to new heights.
- 2 finely sliced shallots
- 15g White vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon plus 70g lemon juice
- 60ml White wine
- 3g Fennel seeds
- 225g Salted butter
- 100g Fresh cream
- In a saucepan, bring the shallots, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and white wine to a gentle boil. Allow the liquid to reduce to two tablespoons while maintaining a steady simmer.
- Add a tablespoon of cold water and bring the mixture back to a boil. Continue boiling until only one tablespoon of liquid remains in the pan.
- Lower the heat and whisk in the butter, one cube at a time, ensuring each cube melts before adding the next. Continue whisking until the sauce turns pale and thick. Remove the pan from the heat and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, adjusting the lemon juice to your preference.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve into a clean saucepan, setting it aside until needed.
Seabass Preparation: A Symphony of Flavours
Prepare the star of the dish, the Seabass, to perfection for a symphony of delectable flavours.
- Heat an anti-stick pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place the seabass fillet in the pan, skin side down, and fry until the skin turns golden and crispy. Carefully turn the fillet over and cook for a few more minutes until the fish is tender and succulent.
Velvety Parsnip Puree: A Luxurious Accompaniment
To complement the Seabass, create a velvety Parsnip Puree that adds a touch of luxury to the dish.
- 450g Parsnips
- 5g Garlic
- 120ml Fresh milk
- 30g Unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine parsnips, garlic, cream, milk, and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the saucepan, and let it simmer until the parsnips turn soft and tender, typically taking around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking until the liquid reduces by half, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt according to your taste preferences.
- Transfer the mixture to a Thermomix and blend until the puree reaches a smooth consistency.
Serving the Culinary Masterpiece
With all the components prepared to perfection, it’s time to plate this culinary masterpiece and delight your guests with an exceptional dining experience.
You can opt to pour the Fennel Lemon Beurre Blanc over the perfectly Seared Seabass, creating a tantalizing fusion of flavours, or serve it in a jug on the side, allowing your guests the pleasure of drizzling it over the dish themselves.
Experience the enchantment of Patmos in each tantalizing bite of Seared Seabass with Chard, Parsnip Puree, and Fennel Lemon Cream. Unlock the secrets of this ancient island’s gastronomic wonders and transport yourself to a world of indulgence, even if only for a moment.
Note: To truly capture the essence of Patmos, ensure you source the freshest ingredients available, cherishing the simplicity and purity of this delightful recipe.