AN INTERNATIONAL EVENT HIGHLIGHTING LE GOUT FRANCAIS AND PARIS
- Global Participation: Buying by lot 57% from Europe and the Middle East, 12% from Asia, and 30% from the Americas
- Global Exhibitions: attended by 10,000 visitors
- Global Registrants: 2,000 registrants across 4 live auctions
- Global Reach: Registrants from 40 countries
- Social Media: More than 1.3 million viewers worldwide tuned in to watch the 14 June Hubert de Givenchy live auction across Christie’s social media and live stream platforms
- Sales: 4 days of live auctions and two ongoing online sales offering a total of 1.229 lots
A SALE CONFIRMING THE RESILIENCE OF THE ART MARKET
- Live Auction Total: Christie’s concludes the live auctions of the Hubert de Givenchy Collection with a running total of €114,440,878 / $119,759,614 / £98,802,080
- Results: More than doubling the pre-sale low estimate of the collection
- Records: 19 new world auction records established
- Records: 20 lots sold above €1 Million – David Roentgen, Domenico Piola, Piero Dorazio
- 5 lots sold above €5 Million – Joan Mirò, Pablo Picasso, paire de girondoles attributed to Pierre-Philippe Thomire
- Top Lot: Alberto Giacometti’s Femme qui marche [I] sold for €27,169,500 ($28,419,297), setting the record for the most expensive work sold at auction in France so far this year
- Online Sales of 478 lots continued until 23 June
RESULTS POWERFULLY RE-DEFINE MARKET FOR 18th CENTURY FURNITURE AND ART
- 85% of all lots dated from the 18th Century and sold at above 95%
- Seminal moment for 18th Century Furniture Market: Of the Top 10 works sold, 5 were for 18th-century furniture and decorative arts and 5 for modern works of art
- Such exceptional strong prices for 18th-century furniture have not been achieved since the 1990s
TWO MAJOR FACTORS FOR SUCCESS
- Le grand goût français, the quality of the objects, and their historic provenance played an important role in the success of the sale
- Christie’s is also recognized as a reference for prestigious single-owner collections, having auctioned 8 of the 10 most important collections in history.
From the first preview in Palm Beach to a tour across three continents, and finally, to the spectacular public exhibition recreating the experience of M. de Givenchy’s private residences in Paris and the Loire Valley, the Hubert de Givenchy collection at Christie’s was received enthusiastically by collectors worldwide.
At four historic live sales at the Théâtre Marigny and Christie’s Paris this week, 19 new auction records were set for fine and decorative art, including works by David Roentgen, Janine Janet, Pierre-Philippe Thomire, Domenico Piola, Maison Toulouse, and Piero Dorazio. Of the most valuable lots across all categories, the Givenchy sale achieved as many top prices for 18th-century furniture and art as for modern works, confirming a powerful new market for this collecting era and for the field of decorative arts.
“It comes as no surprise that the impeccable provenance and superior quality of the treasures in Hubert de Givenchy’s collection attracted such strong interest from buyers around the world. More than 2,000 people representing 40 countries registered to bid across our sales to date. Clients from France represented around 30% of our buyers, with international collectors comprising the remaining 70%.
While our final sales continue online, Hubert de Givenchy’s collection has already achieved an astounding total of €114.4 Million, becoming the second most valuable collection ever sold at French auction. With this success, Christie’s has now led 8 of the top 10 sales of private collections in France.”Cécile Verdier, President of Christie’s France
“It was especially thrilling to see the extraordinary results – across all price levels – achieved for these wonderful furniture pieces Hubert de Givenchy appreciated so much. Among the sales’ many dazzling highlights was a new auction record set for a pair of Louis XIV chenets and strong results for the many styles of seat furniture the designer so masterfully curated. Having had the privilege of overseeing Christie’s other major sales of Hubert de Givenchy’s collection during his lifetime, this is the first on which I have worked without his invaluable guidance
It is my hope that the great couturier and collector would have been proud of our presentation of the extraordinary vision he created with Philippe Venet. This sale is particularly important to me, as I learnt so much from Hubert’s great love of the decorative arts— a passion we both shared. On behalf of all of us at Christie’s, we are honoured to have been entrusted by his family with the sale of such a significant part of his legacy.”Charles Cator, Deputy Chairman, Christie’s International