Our resident food writer Jillian Bloomberg shares her Royal Quick And Easy Trifle recipe that is sure to get everyone asking for seconds!
I don’t think that I have ever come across anyone who does not like a bit of trifle! From the young ones to great-granny, this quintessentially English pudding is ideal for any and all occasions.
Although there are many variations and versions of trifle, my Royal Quick & Easy Trifle recipe is a big hit every time. It is light, fresh and airy texture is the perfect end to a meal as it doesn’t leave you feeling heavy.
Furthermore, what I really love about this recipe is that as it does not contain fruit, as many other trifle recipes do. Because you are not bound what is in season nor are you hit with those pesky “out of season fruit prices”.
Not only is it a hit every time, most importantly, it is so easy and quick to make which is perfect for those last minute pudding whip-ups!
Royal Quick & Easy Trifle
- Glass trifle bowl
- 1 packet Royal vanilla cake mix
- 250 ml Milk
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml Coffee liqueur
- 2 100g Royal chocolate instant pudding
- 900 ml Milk
- 900 ml Cream
- 2 90g Royal vanilla instant pudding
- 200 ml Royal desiccated coconut
- 200 ml Mixed nuts chopped
- 125 ml Cream whipped
- 50 ml Royal desiccated coconut toasted for decoration
- Prepare cake mix accourding to packet instructions, using 250ml milk and eggs.
- Once the mixture is cooled-off, cut into 50mm thick fingers.
- By using a glass trifle bowl, arrage the fingers along the bottom of the bowl.
- Soak with liqueur and let stand for ½ hour.
- Use the 450ml fresh cream and 450ml milk to prepare the chocolate instant pudding.
- By using the same method, prepare the vanilla instant pudding. ( Using half milk and half cream to prepare the puddings ensures a richer taste.)
- Spread a layer of chocolate pudding over the sponge cake and springkle liberally with coconut.
- Spread a layer of vanilla pudding over the coconut and sprinkle with chopped, mixed nuts.
- Continue to layer the pudding, alternating between chocolate pudding and coconut & vanilla pudding and chopped, mixed nuts, until all is used.
- Lastely, top it off with whipped cream and toasted coconut for a decorated look.
- Serve & enjoy!